GRISWOLD THINGS OF INTEREST ...
Griswold & Cast Iron Cookware Association
New contact for Griswold cast iron collectors: www.griswoldandwagner.com
Rebecca and Gregory L. Stahl
290 Chestnut Street
Clinton, MA 01510
The Book of Griswold & Wagner. David G. Smith & Charles Wafford
, Schiffer Pub Ltd., 77 Lower
Valley Rd., Atglen PA 19310
Visit "The Pan Man" to shop for collectible cast iron. More information is available through David
Smith, a dealer in antique cast-iron cookware and author of The Book of Griswold and Wagner. Visit
Smith's Web site at http://www.Panman.com, or e-mail your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the Griswold and Cast Iron Cookware Association at http://www.gcica.org The G&CICA is a
non-profit national organization dedicated to sharing history, information, research and enjoyment of
fine cast iron cookware. Join for $30/2 people with same address, or $25 for a single. For information,
write G&CICA Secretary, 56958 SR 541, Kimbolton OH 43749
A good source for Griswold ironware information is Doris and Bob Mosier, 17424 Jordan Drive,
Saegertown, PA 16433 (814) 763-4819. The Mosiers publish a listing of their inventory and the
listings of other collectors and dealers. Their website is:
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE GRISWOLD MANUFACTURING COMPANY
OF ERIE, PA...
In 1865, two Erie families associated by marriage, joined in a modest venture to manufacture
door hinges. The Selden and Griswold union paved the way for The Griswold Manufacturing Company
of Erie, Pennsylvania, recognized world wide as producers of fine cast iron products, especially
cookware. Matthew Griswold and the Selden brothers started their business by manufacturing
separable butt hinges and other articles of light hardware in 1865. They worked in a building
known as the "Butt Factory." The building was on West 10th and Chestnut Streets, on the bank of
the Erie Extension Canal. The closest I can get to the date they started making cookware is 1865.
Between 1865 and 1957 when they closed production of the plant at the corner of 12th and
Raspberry Street, their line of cookware had been sold and used around the world. Their designers
and engineers produced many patents spanning almost 100 years of manufacture. Before the turn of
the 20th century, they added cast aluminum products to their line. In the 1920's they enameled
some cookware and by the 1930's they offered electric items to their product list. They produced
commercial pieces for use in restaurants. The name was changed to the Selden & Griswold
Manufacturing Company in 1873. The firm was reorganized in 1887, and the Griswold Manufacturing
Company was chartered. They added aluminum cookware to their line before the turn of the century.
Records show that the first aluminum piece (a tea kettle) was made in approximately 1893. The
firm moved onto the corners of 12th and Raspberry Streets in 1903. Griswold Mfg. Co. started
enameling some items in the 1920's and within 10 years had branched into some electric cooking items.
The company was in trouble by the 1940's for a variety of reasons. Many products were being
introduced by other cookware companies that seemed more attractive to modern cooks.The
Griswold Manufacturing Company was sold in 1946 to a syndicate of New York City investors.
By 1947, all members of the Griswold family had left the company. In March of 1957, McGraw
Edison of Chicago, Illinois purchased Griswold, ending the 81 years that the Griswold family
owned the company. On October 7, 1957, it was announced that the Housewares Division and
the Griswold name and trademarks were to be sold to a competitor, the Wagner Manufacturing
Company of Sidney, Ohio. On December 7, 1957, the plant in Erie, PA closed its doors.
Problems within the company between management and employees widened, the quality of the
products seemed to decline, and in 1957 the doors of GMC closed leaving 60+ employees without
jobs. In August of 1969 General House wares Corp. acquired all rights to both the Griswold and
While most of the GMC cookware is a desired collectible, almost all collectors avoid the small
Griswold logo era. The former quality and casting isn't there, for the most part. There seems to be
a much larger demand for cast iron, compared to those seeking cast aluminum, enameled, electric,
or plated pieces. Eventually, Griswold's strongest competitor, The Wagner Manufacturing Company
of Sydney, Ohio, ended up with ownership of their molds. The "double stamped" Wagner/Griswold
emblems are not considered important collector's items, nor are the items that say Griswold
but were really manufactured in Sydney, Ohio by Wagner.
The Wagner Manufacturing Company continued the Griswold name and trademark, but pieces
made during that time period did not have the phrase "Erie, Pa." on them. Wagner transferred all
Griswold trademark rights to Textron Inc. (Randall Company) in January of 1959. Until 1969,
cast iron cookware marketed with the Griswold trademark was manufactured in Sidney, Ohio by
the Randall Company.
Griswold Family Reunion: Ohio Style, 1901
Many thanks to Jan Robinson for sending us this historic document and to Coralee Griswold
for the genealogy.
The program is signed by H. Warren PHELPS, President. He was married to Louise M. Clark who
was the daughter of George B. and Mindwell E. (GRISWOLD) CLARK. Louisa Clark-PHELPS >
Mindwell Griswold > Isaac Griswold (FFG 540/863) This is what the French's have written in the
Sixth regarding Isaac: b. 27 Oct 1779 Windsor, Hartford Co., CT; m. 14 Feb 1801 Ursula CLARK ,
b. 1 Jan. 1783 in Windsor, daughter of Moses Clark, she died in 1854 at Blendon, Franklin Co., OH.
Isaac d. July 1869 Blendon, OH.
"Isaac made the journey to Oho in 1805 in company with Col. Kilbourne and Isaac Phelps on horseback
. They located land in Blendon Township, Franklin Co., OH and returned to CT. Isaac and his family returned to Ohio in 1806 with ox teams and all their belongings. They were among the earliest settlers in Blendon where Isaac soon became a prominent
and influential citizen. In 1808 he was a corporal in the militia and saw active service in the War of 1812.
In 1824 he was appointed postmaster and served until 1864 when he was succeeded by his son
Children: Eunice d. 12 Apr 1803
+Isaac Mortimer b. 23 Dec 1803
Edwin B. b. 23 Aug 1805 d. 17 May 1834 unm
+Christina b. 23 Feb 1808
Fredus Niles b. 11 May 1811 d. 16 July 1881 unm
Cicero Phelps b. 6 Dec 1815 d. 10 Aug 1885 unm
+ Mindwell b. 9 Oct 1822
There are many versions of the Griswold crest: to copy, right click on image and
"Save Target As" a picture file on your computer